Wednesday, February 20, 2008

choices

I have a confession. When I'm studying at home, I keep the TV on during the day. Which means there are soap operas on - and I've been watching one lately. This morning one character said "Choices. We all make them. And they can change things forever."

So true. Each day we make choices. Choices about what we will say, what we will keep to ourselves. Choices about what we will eat and drink or not. Choices about what we will do or not do. Choices about what to read, watch or who to be with.

Our choices can affect us - what we watch or read for example - and our choices can affect others - what we say or don't say for example. And those choices can change things forever.

There are books which I've read that have changed me. There are people who have changed me, in their conversations. They probably didn't even know that their words were having an effect, but they did.

In my daily Bible reading this morning, one phrase jumped out - your boasting is not a good thing. Lent is a good season for reflection on our choices. Have I boasted in my choices and in what good advice I've given people? My boasting is not a good thing. Have my choices, my words, my actions affected people so that they see God and seek God? Or have I been a stumbling block? Choices, every day, each one can change things forever.

This day, I choose to reflect on my words. I choose to think before I speak. I choose humility, though it is not the way of the world. It's a choice that gives me serenity and peace, and that is a good thing.

No comments: