Friday, February 1, 2019

Lectionary Trails - Fifth Sunday after Epiphany Year C

The goal of this Lectionary Trails exercise is to reflect on the scripture readings two weeks in advance, on a Monday.

Today is Friday.

Friday 5pm in my neck of the woods.

This isn't going to be the greatest reflection, but I wanted to give it a go anyway.

Readings are found at Vanderbilt Divinity School Lectionary site:
https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/texts.php?id=111

And just like that, reading through them, I wish I hadn't selected "Here I Am, Lord" as a hymn this week.  It will be too soon to sing it again, but boy howdy, it sure fits with three of the readings!

Luke 5:1-11
Although other disciples are present during Jesus' teaching, and subsequently during the miraculous catch of fish, it is Simon Peter who speaks with Jesus.  Only these two have voice during this story.  Why is it only one disciple speaks when the others also are invited to join Jesus?  Plausibly because Luke is establishing Peter as a central figure in Jesus' ministry.  I don't think it's critical to the sermon, but it is noteworthy when considering who has voice and who does not in a scripture passage.

What may be an interesting preaching path is Peter's initial response when he realizes who it is that is inviting him to be a disciple.  "Get away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man!"  How often do we delay our understanding that Christ comes to us while we are yet sinners?  It is not our worthiness that determines the gift of becoming a disciple.  It is the righteousness of the one who invites us to follow that matters.  New Interpreter's Commentary remarks:  "The fishermen were not called because of their qualifications, character, or potential.  God's call is as unpredictable as it is unmerited."

I'm struck that the lectionary gives us another miracle of overabundance.  The miracle of water into wine was a miracle of abundance, more than enough for all.  Is this catch of fish another miracle of abundance?  Illustrating that Christ is generous and provides for us all.  New Interpreter's Bible Commentary says that this story connects Christ to Moses and the manna, Elijah and the meal and oil, and Elisha and the oil and barley bread.  The miracle of the fish illustrates that Christ ushers in God's kingdom "accompanied by signs of God's gracious love.  It will inaugurate a time of abundance and blessing."  This is quite the counterpoint to how our culture teaches us to think in terms of scarcity.  If you have more than me, then I'll never have enough, etc. which leads to more competition.  The abundance of God's kingdom turns our competitive and scarcity framework upside down.

Last note about the Luke reading - Jesus is in their workplace.  There is no spiritual formation retreat.  There is no spiritual gifts inventory to complete first.  There is no application form and follow up interviews.  Just sweaty, tired, smelly fishermen.  I'll need to let that ponder around in my mind a bit more.

The reading from 1 Corinthians 15 gives us a glimpse into the foundational teachings in early Christianity.  Paul recites the key beliefs for Corinthian believers, which they already know.  Perhaps they recited part of this (or something similar) much like we recite an Affirmation of Faith?  Paul places himself in this history of Christian belief and action, and gives credit to the grace of God working in his life. 

If I were to use this reading in a retreat or teaching context, I would have the participants write it again, but inserting themselves and any spiritual mentors they have known.  It doesn't quite fit neatly as part of a sermon, but with the Luke reading and the Isaiah reading focusing on being called, this passage helps us to consider how our own call is part of the greater story of Christianity. 

My own mentors include Rev. Jesse Mothersbaugh, who baptized me and used his own missionary experience in children's sermons that resonated deep in my soul.  Rev. Bernie Sandberg, who was my confirmation teacher and encouraged me to ask questions, no matter how complex or difficult.  Rev. Tom Crowe, who embodied compassion.  Rev. Karen Dorris, whose preaching led me back into faith during a time when I was drowning in grief.  Rev. Ferd Dawson, who taught me to be bold and not hesitate.  Dr. Evelyn Parker, who believed in my potential as a scholar.  Bishop Janice Riggle Huie, who ordained me, and who was a trailblazing woman in ministry in my home conference.  And Dr. Dana Robert, whose faith in me still humbles me, and who I know daily that I failed to meet her expectations, and yet she offers grace and encouragement.  I am able to follow Christ because I am surrounded by such faithful disciples. 

No comments: