Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Snowed In, Under, and Around

So when I posted about slowing down and being still for Advent, I didn't mean that we should get so much snow we couldn't get the car out!

If there was any doubt about having a white Christmas, it was erased in a whirl of white on Friday afternoon. It snowed a lot on Friday. And on Saturday. And again on Sunday even more.

The girls made a big snowman on Sunday afternoon. He's going to stand for a while, as our temperatures are supposed to stay cold.

In the meantime, driving the girls to babysitting jobs, to the mall, to various errands... it's an adventure. I grew up in south Texas (wayyy south Texas) and it's flat down there. Snow once every hundred years or so. So I never learned how to drive in a hilly town covered in icy slush or mounds of snow. Slip sliding across the intersections, feeling the car moving in directions I didn't aim it.

Not to mention the half an hour or more it takes just to get it out of the parking spot!

Let me remind myself of how much I like New England in August, when it's only 80 degrees. ~cue summer memories without 100 degrees plus humidity~ Okay, it's all worth it.

2 comments:

dguzman said...

Could I understand your feelings more completely? Doubtful. We got a bunch of sleet and rain when you were getting snow, so now we have huge mounds of rock-hard ice everywhere. The driveway is an adventure every morning.

Here in Central PA, our summers are quite mild as well--a real treat after 110-degree (plus the obligatory humidity) summers in Dallas. Can you believe Dallas is even hotter than Harlingen?

Carol said...

I can't even imagine Lisa Beth. I just emailed you and told you about my Christmas. As you wished for me it dawned and was a beautiful sunny day. Short sleeves the whole day. Absolutely brilliant.