Friday, January 16, 2009

persistence

This morning a blue jay greeted me, coming up to the feeder as I looked out the window at the day. Jays don't often come up to my feeders, so this was a treat.

Lately I've been thinking quite a lot about persistence. Perhaps it's because I've got a stubborn streak, or perhaps it's because my mother often told me that I didn't have "stick-to-it-ivness" - no matter what the cause, I am rather persistent now.

More than one of my friends have in recent days written to me about their spiritual struggles. They are having difficulty perceiving God, feeling abandoned to muddle through on their own. Different situations, but each difficult.

I hope they are each able to hang on, to pray persistently through the darkness. I've been thinking about different people from scripture who persisted through the darkness, those who clung to their faith. Haven't had time yet to work through scripture to find them, but hope to blog about this again soon. The spirituality of persistence seems to be an important theme.

Until then, I'll keep watching the feeder and the birds who visit through these cold winter months, and hope the robins come back soon.

No comments: