Sunday, November 2, 2008

Daylight Spending Time

So I was thinking this morning, with the extra hour I had... if it's called "daylight savings time" does that mean that when we switch back it's "daylight spending time"?

It's just gone 5pm and there's a thumbnail sliver of a moon hanging up in the velvet sky. Beautiful, but it's early still. One of the hardest things for me to adjust to up here in New England is the very short days during the winter.

As much as like the change of the seasons, the shift to dark is hard for me to embrace. I'm sure the lessons to be learned from seasons and change are important, and I'm sure the lesson about patience and waiting are ones I am still learning, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Today we had acolyte training at church. Several grade school kids wanted to learn how to light the candles before worship. The symbolism of bringing in and taking out the light, combined with their young and hopeful spirits made my day. Perhaps their eager embrace of the light can be an example.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I loooooooooooooove day light savings. I hate going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. So whilst I'm sad if you're not liking it, I'm pretty darn happy for me right now. te he