Sunday, November 23, 2008

difficult days

Well, it's been difficult days lately. Two friends have suffered deaths in their families. One asked me to preside at the funeral, which I did, and I'm so glad. Really hard, but it was the right thing to do.

The bright spot for me was that James surprised us with a visit. Business in Connecticut for him, lots of smiles and hugs for us. We shared a family favorite meal (deep dish spinach pizza) and show (Survivor!). The simplest things are the ones that matter, and that's what we were able to share. Simply sitting around a table, hearing the girls pray, sharing conversation about the day, laughing over little things.

In the midst of all this, my school is in high gear - last crunch for reading, time to get the writing going, study for exams. Good thing the girls want a simple Thanksgiving, because I won't have time for a big production. They like to help with cooking now, so I'm ready to find out what kind of dishes they want to make for dinner. As long as there is a cranberry-apple pie and a BIG pan of stuffing, I'll be happy.

Today's scripture was Psalm 100 - enter God's gates with thanksgiving. That's not easy when people are hurting, grieving, or struggling. It's not easy when you are lonely or stressed out. But starting with thanks helps to put everything into perspective. There are times when I argue with God about things. There are times I cry to God, and no words will do. Today, talking with the children, it was clear again how to start with gratitude and trust. The Spirit is guiding me, and for that I am deeply grateful.

1 comment:

Carol said...

What an honour to be given to preside at that funeral. You would have done an amazing job for your friend, I'm sure.