Monday, March 2, 2009

March Snows and Lent Disciplines

Spring is delayed. We've had a big snow storm. Schools cancelled, people told to stay home and off the roads. Seems we'll have to wait a bit longer for warmer weather.

Lent has begun, the season of preparation for Easter. I've made Lent wait, pondering and praying what my discipine of preparation should be. Giving up a food or drink is so popular and doesn't really help me focus and prepare. I've settled on a financial sacrifice. Normally I give to the church, but many times I forget in the hustle and bustle of regular life. So I have decided to be more intentional about giving locally, and to make some contributions to special causes I feel are doing good work quietly.

Seasons of waiting and quiet growth. Requires things like digging out and being patient. I'd rather skip right to the beautiful blossoms of spring, but I know I'll enjoy it more if I do the work, listen through the silence, and wait for God's time.

In the meantime, I'll try not to think of all the bluebonnets down in Texas, which I've heard are blooming. How I miss the Texas wildflowers in spring!

No comments: