Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What I've learned about snow

Growing up in south Texas, all snow looked the same. It was on TV or movie screens, Christmas cards and paintings. It was always perfect, crisp, white and fun.

With two New England winters under my belt now, I can say that real snow isn't like the stuff on TV. It gets dirty quickly. You want it to be light and fluffy so it's easy to get off the car and out of the driveway, but the light and fluffy stuff doesn't make snowballs.

The just right for snowballs kind of snow doesn't fall very often. And "it's almost spring snow" tends to come with rain and sleet, so that it's a heavy wet mucky mess that won't make snowballs and won't come off the car easily. Shovelling the wet stuff is a major workout. I've also learned how to make the shovel work like a snow plow - less lifting that way.

All of the shoveling and clearing off can be good for the brain too. After getting the car out yesterday, I had a profound insight about violence and the nature of God while driving Mary Grace to piano lesson.

Only trouble is, I forgot it while waiting and listening to the background sounds of two guitar lessons and three piano lessons. So what I've learned about snow is all this blog is getting today. Being a mom and a theologian aren't always complementary vocations it appears!

No comments: