Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seen Being Read on the T

I've been thinking long and hard about the church group from Idaho that is in jail for kidnapping children in Haiti. What is bothering me is that most media sources are calling them "missionaries", but to my thinking they aren't missionaries at all. I have more thoughts but they need more pondering before publishing.

Seen Being Read on the T this week:

A Neil Gaiman novel (couldn't see the title)
In My Father's Court by Isaac Bashevis Singer
The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
Metro
Wall Street Journal
Boston Globe
Where Does God Live? by Rabbi Mark Gellman and Monsignor Thomas Hartman
This last book was being read by a professor of mine. I spotted it as we left the train, and I was so focused on reading the title that I didn't bother to look at who was holding it until we were on the steps up to street level and he greeted me! :-) I loved the one class I was able to take with him. This book is being used in a class where they examine books like it (for parents, teens, etc) and have a look at the theology in each of them. Made for great discussion on the way over to school!

Dry by Augustin Burroghs
Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Metro
The Atlantic (magazine)
Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Daniel Tatum
Spare Change (newspaper sold by homeless people)
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Dead Even (couldn't see the author)
Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane

and two quite interesting items...

Root Canal Obturations
Derivatives and Alternate Investments - quite a change from the typical newspaper or pocket novel!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Gosh this gives me a giggle, all the different reading matters you see. I can picture it now, sitting there with pen and paper in hand, trying hard to peer at the reader as to what he/she has in their hands.

I haven't heard about the Haiti children, will be interested to know more. It's hard with situations like this, people think they're doing the best thing, but the danger is that kiddies will be kidnapped for sinister means. With family who have disappeared or passed away, no one will know these kiddies are gone.

Lisa Beth said...

Trying hard to peer at the reader's book but not look like a stalker! LOL

I'll write more about the Haiti children soon. I'm still thinking about it. I'll try to include a link to articles. The NY Times has some good articles on the whole situation. The trouble is, these children still have family, mothers and fathers, they weren't orphans!