Friday, December 7, 2007

September 26, 2007

One of my classes is requiring a lot of reading about trauma and PTSD. It's very interesting, and emotionally draining at the same time. Knowing I had a big assignment today, I decided to start the day with yoga. Haven't done yoga since moving, and it felt good to be present, grounded, centered, focused on the breath again. The Hebrew word for breath is also used for Spirit, so when I focus on breathing, I focus on God's Spirit.

Today's readings included an article in June's Yoga Journal about yoga practice and healing from traumatic experiences. The participants said that focusing on the present moment and being grounded helped them to heal from the memories, the nightmares, and the panic. The practice of yoga helped them to be attentive to the body, and along with counseling which focused on the mind and emotions, brought them back to a place that felt whole and safe.

Then I read a quote from Jean Piaget, whom I haven't studied in many years. He studied childhood development and cognitive development. He said that the goal of development is "decentration" or having your emotions, not being them.
Many years ago, someone told me that all too often I let my emotions control me instead of controlling my emotions. That always bothered me, but over the years I've come to understand why. Emotions just are - you can't control them. But you can live in an intentional way so that when you have emotions, they don't have you - or as Piaget said, you don't have to BE your emotions.
I'm no yoga expert, but in my experience yoga has helped me to slow down, be in the moment rather than in the past (woulda coulda shoulda) or in the future (anxiety anyone?). When I slow down, I can think about whatever emotion I'm having - what's going on around me, is it about me or is it about someone else, is it something that needs action or just observation - those kinds of thoughts.

So to the person who told me to control my emotions - No! :-) Emotions are part of what makes us human, they are neither right or wrong, they just are. It is what we do with our emotions that makes a difference. Being a mature person means that it is my responsibility to be attentive - to have my emotions rather than letting them have me.

How ya feeling today? Breathe deep. Breathe in the breath of God. Be present. Be centered. Be grounded. Be who God created you to be. Be.

No comments: