Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The only good needle...

I don't like needles. Well, I suppose the only needles I like are the ones my friend Carol uses on her sewing projects. She's over at http://www.pins--needles.blogspot.com and you can see she's into more than just sewing. Lots of talent there, and I'm envious. All my old pics are in cardboard boxes that have been moved around many times. Nearly ten times moved, I think.

Today was needle day. Went into town to the big (massive)teaching hospital. They might be clinically good, but they just don't have the Southern hospitality like my hosptial back in Texas. I'll take clinical expertise either way, with or without the hospitality, however, as this whole process made me very nervous.

I tried to read for class the couple hours I was there, but an internal dialogue kept interrupting. Have my breasts betrayed me? They were one of my favorite parts of my body, yet just like my hair, they ain't what they used to be. Another voice chimed in, saying that I should love my body, just as she is. Another blog I read (http://acrazyquiltlife.blogspot.com/) recently had a bit on loving your body. Not always an easy thing to do, especially when you're lying on an exam table...waiting, waiting, waiting, and oh so cold.

So I tried to still my mind and pray. Then I tried not to listen to the doctor and radiologist discussing things while they looked at the screen. One of the "spots" was pronounced gone, but then a third look said, well, it's there but small, not worth doing anything over. Hm. The great unknown. Mysteries of the human body and all that.

I now have a band-aid where the needle went. Seems quite odd. And the numbing stuff is wearing off, so I'm a bit sore as well. Fortified with lunch at school, great discussions with new friends, a mug of tea and a big cinnamon roll for dessert (reward for surviving the nasty needle), I am bravely facing the rest of the day. We'll see if I manage to make it all the way through class tonight, and get another paper written.

Never a dull moment, eh? That's meant to be funny. Being this post is all about sharp needles. Get it? Laugh a little at my lame joke, it helps everything feel better!

No comments: