Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Budget Woes

Today I had to work on a proposed budget for a programming area at the church.  I don't like math.  I avoid anything to do with math.  Creating a proposed budget requires doing math.

Despite my resistance to all things math, I persevered and turned in my proposal today.  I hope that it makes it through.

Today was rather challenging on several levels.  First the budget proposal.  Then an afternoon spent working on some paperwork, and rethinking vocational options.  Several of the doctoral student support groups that I've joined or considered joining have discussions on alternative career paths.  For many years it has been assumed that if you get a Masters of Divinity, you must be seeking ordination.  And I did both - the M.Div. and ordination.  But I didn't stay on the expected career path in my region.  For many years as well, it has been assumed that if you get a Ph.D. you will become a professor.

I chose Ph.D. study after a lot of discernment, conversations with my advisor, and realizing that I truly enjoy academic work.  Sustained theological reflection is something that I want to do.  However, budget woes - the reality of my financial situation - have made it difficult to simply focus on the traditional Ph.D. track. 

Some of my colleagues have sped through their programs, applied for faculty positions and are now employed.  Others have taken positions in full time ministry.  Others are publishing in traditional (conference papers, journal articles) and non-traditional (blogs, web news columns) ways. 

My path isn't quite clear yet.  One report indicates that jobs in the humanities in academia have reduced by 50% in recent years.  I'm overeducated for many positions and older than average for both the church and the academy.  And yet, I'm drawn to both church and academy, in no small part because both options provide the possibility of stable income and benefits.  Budget woes are a powerful motivation.

However, they aren't the most important consideration.  And so today I pondered.  No conclusions as yet.  Pondering will continue.  I feel certain that some interesting options will come open in time.  Hopefully they will come with people who love math and are great at budgets!

No comments: