Monday, October 27, 2014

When Words Won't Work

A dear friend of mine is struggling.  She is exhausted and unhappy.  No matter what I say, I know it's not going to help. 

Some days, it doesn't matter how many words you know, words just won't work. 

I pray for this friend quite often.  Some days, the words of a prayer don't quite capture how I feel, how badly I want for something to change for her. 

I have a bookshelf full of inspirational books, meditation guides, daily devotionals, uplifting stories.  When I recommend one of these to someone who has sought me out for a bit of pastoral counseling, it is gratifying to see their faces - they know that I've walked difficult paths too and these books helped me.

But today, none of these words would be enough, and so I didn't suggest any of them.  I just don't know what to say to her anymore.  Most of our conversations are over text message, since it's the modern thing to do.  Well, that, and we're both working, so actual conversations are hard.  I have said a million cliches, stupid cheerful super-perky things.  I'm sure none of them quite ring true.

Some days being a friend means not having the right words to say.  When you can't be there in person, those days really suck.

No comments: