Thursday, October 2, 2014

Paper and Technology

In June 1997 I started a job at a small town church.  They bought a computer for me, and the guy who came in to set it up also set up an email account for me.  The church didn't have email yet, so he used what was the most popular web-based email at the time - Excite. 

What's that you say?  You've never heard of it?  Well, you're not alone.  What was popular in 1997 isn't exactly still popular.  However, what was often said in 1997 about technology is still being said - that it will help keep your work organized, reduce papers and/or paperwork, and is a very efficient tool.

Ha.

As I write this post, in October 2014, I am surrounded by paper.  Not only that, but there are many computers around my house that also have information on them, and none of it - the technology bits or the paper bits - are very organized.  Download this amazing program and it will make your life so easy!! - well, that seems to be the sales pitch.

I haven't found that technology is actually all that helpful in reducing papers or paperwork.  It does make writing easier.  Let's face it - as much as I loved LiquidPaper, it wasn't very efficient.  And as much as I liked literally cutting and pasting together a newsletter for my youth group, technology has helped speed up communication with folks.

But no amount of technology is going to help me deal with the stacks of papers in my office.  I have to just sort through them, bit by bit.  Recycle what I can, shred what needs to be shredded, and get my husband to help with the files.  We really don't need most of what sits in our file cabinets, and I just don't have hours and hours to sort through it.  This is where a good homecooked meal and a beer come in - a little incentive, shall we say, to ensure his help.

Now, as to what could function as incentive to help me let go of all the papers I deem "possibly useful" or "sentimental"?  Might need to hashtag that one "hopeless" or perhaps "source of the problem".

And with that bit of confessional, this post on papers and technology must come to an end (especially as another stack has just fallen over....)

No comments: