Thursday, March 20, 2008

But I Was Only Walking!

Today was supposed to be a run day. Didn't happen.

Mary Grace wasn't feeling well, so after class and a mandatory graduation meeting, I rushed home. Rush is a relative term.

Took the green line, but knew before we got to Park Street Station that I wouldn't make the 1:30 commuter rail train, so I got off and hopped on the Orange Line instead. When I got to the station, I had just ~by this much~ (imagine your thumb and finger pretty close together) missed the bus that would take me the rest of the way. Since it was middle of the day, everything was slow. I walked instead. Just a quick 15 minute walk or so, right?

Ugh. 20 minute walk, with heavy computer bag including books in it, plus the wind. Sheesh. We had 40 mph gusts today! Coming AT me, of course.

Then I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, because my poor kiddo was out of apple juice. And what kind of mother would I be to let me poor pitiful baby go without apple juice? (with the voice of the doctor in my ear, force fluids, water, apple juice...) So the second half of the way home was with the ever-heavier (or so it seemed) computer bag plus two big bottles of juice (and bagels and the local weekly paper).

On the last block home, I decided that this would count for my run for the day, even without running. Those cute ankle boots with inch and a half heels were giving me a workout, as was the load I was carrying and the wind, right?? Right?

Once home and having caught my breath, I thought better of it and when the sun came out, I knew I'd go running instead. First I'd finish the cleaning project I was doing. That's when it happened....

I was cleaning dust bunnies (ha, Easter joke) out from a neglected corner of the room and must have been leaning funny or something because when I stood up, the back of my right leg complained. No *pop* or *twang* or anything scary like that, just ... ouch.

It really hurts. James says I've strained my hamstring, the exact same location that he struggled to overcome after his knee surgery a few years back. He gave me a few exercises to do and said nice comforting encouraging things. ~sigh~

You know, I might have made an excuse for today's run, but I really was enjoying the exercise and all. I sure hope the ibuprofen works and it all feels better in the morning. That and the sensible hiking boots I'm planning to wear are sure to help, right?

I have to wonder though - after the discussion in class today about the Holocaust, genocides and suffering, to which I found no satisfactory answer to the question about God "allowing" suffering - is it possible that my own pain is in some small way helping me to experience rather than think about suffering? Hmmm....

Well, either way, my hamstring hurts and it will have to get better soon. I've got a paper to write about running!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh dear, not the hammy. I have visions of you rolling over clutching your leg a la the cricketers on tv. They seem to do their hammy's a lot. I hope it's not too badly damaged. Feet up and rest.

Lisa Beth said...

Thanks Carol! Wasn't that dramatic, thank heavens. And I'm glad that I'm not in a job where it gets hurt often, that would be awful!