Monday, March 31, 2008

lack of posting

I haven’t been posting about the runs - or prayer - or anything else lately. It’s peak writing season here at seminary, and I’m in the rather deep end of the pool at the moment. Turabian’s 7th Edition is my New Best Friend. (insert geeky grad school laugh here)

Celia came along on Thursday’s run. I wanted to make all kinds of excuses not to run, but convincing her to come along made it easier. Easier to get started, not to run! It’s fun to run with someone, and she is particularly encouraging. I managed to run all of the three minute run segments! She convinced me to try running in the reservation - which may be a spiritual experience but it was just plain impossible for me. Too steep. We came back out and finished on the easier slopes of city streets.

Sunday’s run was the last one of "week three" on the Couch to 5K program. Pretty sunny afternoon, but darn cold! Ran by myself, and this time managed to run ALL of the intervals! Woohoo! Go me! It’s still hard, but with Celia’s tips on paying attention to breathing and posture it was easier. No ankle pain, but it was obvious the shoes needed replacing.

We went to Marathon Sports, one of the best running supply places in Boston. I walked in, the guy looked at my shoes, and knew why we were there. He asked my size, went to the back and came out with two pairs of shoes. I didn’t even have to try to figure out the complicated displays, he just seemed to know what I needed. We did talk about how much I was running - he knew about the Couch to 5K program and was impressed that Celia is my "trainer".

So, now I have the most expensive pair of shoes I’ve ever owned. Pretty blue and white. I’ll report after Tuesday’s run how they are, and I’m sure the guy at the shop is right, anything will be more support than what I’ve been running in!

Meanwhile, there are the old ones. Can’t bear to part with them. Broke them in walking into town in Honduras with James. Climbed up Table Mountain with my mission team in Cape Town. I’m sentimental about my old broken down sneakers. Crazy!

2 comments:

Carol said...

I know exactly what you mean about being attached to the old ones. Which is why my old ones are sitting in the corner of the laundry, rather than in the rubbish bin where they belong. I can visit them in the laundry see, even if I'm not wearing them, LOL.

Go Celia! Get your mum moving. Oh and its high time there were some pics on this blog too, lets see the running shoes huh? An audience awaits, te he.

Lisa Beth said...

How exactly do I put pictures in the blog? I'll have to get Celia in on this, she's the techie wizard.