Monday, March 24, 2008

sun is shining brightly

Sunday was a beautiful day, clear skies and bright sun. I went for the last run of week two yesterday, and many random thoughts came to me. Nothing clear or logical. I'm hoping it will eventually come together.

First, I feel heavy when I run - not all over, just my legs. It's hard to focus when this feeling comes and takes over my brain.

Second, the importance of proper equipment. There is NO way I could be walking or running unless I had the warm gear developed by dedicated runners. And the shoes! I might need new shoes soon. I'm wondering if the shoes are part of my ankle issue.

Third, the ankles. It's so random but they hurt at least once during a run. Might be the first run interval, might be later. Sunday it was the fourth interval. It's rarely more than one interval. Weird.

Fourth, the fight. Some days it is SUCH a mental fight. Sunday was like that. I know that the reason I'm doing this is to not let my daughter down, but seriously... I'm NOT an athlete. Especially NOT a runner. This is hard work. I'm having trouble with this walking/running part of it - who am I kidding thinking I could ever run a marathon???? So much of Sunday's run was this dialogue in my head - why am I doing this? I can't do this? Who would know if I just walked instead of running?

Fifth, questions about use of the body. Now in my forties and struggling with this exercise, I began to wonder about how I used my body over the years. Taking it for granted, that sort of thing. After these thoughts, it was SO hard to complete just a 90 second run interval. The negative thought patterns really impact what the body can do.

Sixth, you have to really pay attention and plan. What is the weather like? Dress accordingly. Where are you going? Plan the route. What roads do you have to cross? What's the traffic like? Watch for cars pulling out or into driveways, watch for kids playing. Watch for cracks in the sidewalk. Watch for puddles or sticks or other dangers on the way.

You also have to pay attention to the body - have you eaten properly? Had enough water? Stretched out? Are you relaxed in your shoulders and arms? Pay attention to your breathing and heart rate.

Seventh, the world around you. The podcast for week two ended with a song to help you slow down, and the first two runs I didn't quite understand what the one line in the song was about. But yesterday, Easter Sunday, I got it. "Sun is shining brightly, it's such a great delight." In spite of the fight, in spite of the struggle, the sun was shining brightly and it was indeed, a great delight.

I might never make it beyond a 5k run with my daughters, but I am getting out of my comfort zone and expectations for myself and beginning to see what others think I'm capable of achieving.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hmmm, still early days though isn't it? You hear of people who have started off like you and they get to a stage, it must hit them like lightening, that they actually DO like it, and look forward to it and they day just isn't the same if they don't do it. Maybe you're just not at that point just yet, but it's just round the corner perhaps.

Me? I'm like why jog when I can take a bus. ROFL.