Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Palm Sunday Sunshine

It was supposed to rain and snow at the same time today - can you imagine? A southern girl who knows Palm Sunday as a warm day - waving palms down Main Street in the snow? Ack!

Turns out the girls couldn’t get up early enough for the ecumenical palms procession down Main Street, so we only went to worship. It wasn’t snowing or raining, but it wasn’t much over 35 degrees either.

Bishop Weaver preached today, a motivating sermon about the disciples going ahead of Jesus to prepare the way - how we need to go prepare the way in our homes, our workplaces, our cities. The other part of the sermon was that we also need to be prepared to let go of what we value - just as the owner of the donkey did, he let go of his resources because the Lord needed it. What do we cling to because we think we need it, when really the Lord needs it?

After church we had a pot luck lunch and then I was ready for a nice relaxing cup of tea, a second slice of cake, and maybe a nap. That’s when I remembered that it was a running day - ugh. Man oh man, how I wanted to just sit there with that tea!

But I’ve promised my daughter that I would do this, so I got dressed, put on the sneakers and headed out. My ankles only hurt once, this time earlier in the run. And I lost count of the run intervals again, it’s a very good thing I’ve got that podcast to keep track for me.

The podcast guy says that after a run interval you shouldn’t be out of breath or tired. Who’s he kidding? Out of breath? Oh yeah. Tired? Not so much. I think I might like doing this. Which freaks me out, so don’t tell anyone.

Must get back to pondering mission in the global context, I’ve got reports to write.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Podcast? I so need one for running. A part of why I don't run, other than the obvious reasons, hurt, sweat, lazy, is timing the intervals. To have someone else do that while all I have to do is run, would be great. :D

I don't like those walking workouts that have you stop and do exercises during the walk. I'd feel goofy doing that sort of thing around the neighborhood.

Lisa Beth said...

Search on iTunes for the Couch to 5K podcasts, this one is by Robert Ullery. It's good, but I'm stuck at week seven.

Okay, stuck but not running. My body is not working right and I just don't have the energy to get out there. I'll call it my summer break? ~desperate search for rationalization here~