Friday, May 16, 2008

observations

After a couple days of yoga and stretches, I decided to take my right hamstring out for a test drive. Did the week six, day one segments and did all the runs. Thank heaven the worst uphill part of my route was a walk segment!

So much comes to me on a run. So many observations that it's hard to remember them all. I'll try to capture a few from yesterday.

Amazing shades of green - the trees are really leafing out, tender new leaves everywhere. The reservation is beginning to look like lace, filtered sunlight.

Confetti - the flowering trees here drop their blossoms all around and it looks like confetti - pink and white and magenta, a festival of spring and new life. Spring is a party!

Trinity - it occurred to me today that the breathing pattern I use is like the Trinity. Celia told me to pay attention to my breathing by counting - so many step breathing in, so many steps breathing out. My pattern is three steps in, three steps out, so that I'm always counting, one - two - three, using the breath, the wind, the Ruach, the Spirit, what makes life possible.

Marlboro - yesterday I ran past a discarded Marlboro box and immediately thought of my dad. It's not odd that a pack of Marlboros would remind me of him, he always smoked the red pack ones, up until six months before he died. What's odd is that several things have reminded me of him recently. Seeing a refrigeration unit and talking about him with my daughters - seeing a pack of cards and realizing I've forgotten how to play gin rummy, which he taught me to play (and beat me at regularly) - seeing something "black cherry" flavored and remembering how we both loved Black Cherry ice cream in the summer.

It's a tender and fragile world we live in. Cherish it and don't take it for granted.

3 comments:

Insane Mama said...

It's weird when you see things suddenly and you are taken back. Gin Rummy... that did it for me, my grandma kicked my ass is gin rummy for years. I finally beat her about a year ago. She died about two weeks ago, but not before beating me one last time.

Lisa Beth said...

So sorry about your loss. My dad died over 20 years ago, and I still miss him. Wish my kids could have met him and learned to play cards too.

Carol said...

It's funny what we associate with normal every day things, like the malboro packet. Or even a smell, or another person can take you to another time and place.

As for the blossom trees, I love the confetti from the trees. Some people see a big ol' mess on the ground. I see frosting.