Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Annual Conference, chapter four

Yes, I know... I'm a geek when it comes to church stuff. So I'll start with the everyday news. We finally have a break in the heat. It's been hot and humid the past four days. Yesterday several schools had early release because of the heat - they don't have central cooling in the schools up here as they do in Texas. Last night a storm blew through. Our town only got the wind, not the rain. I was out at 1am protecting my plants and taking down the wind chime.

Last night I ordered a pizza for the girls - a Final Exams week treat. We haven't ordered out pizza since... well... about a year I think. A slice from Papa Gino's back in September, but other than that we made our own.

It made my mouth water. It tasted great. But I forgot my own musings about "listening to your body". This morning my body is clearly saying "you don't NEED the pizza. There is no nutrition in the pizza. Don't eat the pizza." ~sigh~

Now, on to Annual Conference thoughts.

Monday night worship – choir from Cote d’Ivoire and Bishop Peter Storey from Methodist Church of Southern Africa – marvelous challenge to the church in the United States. Wish I could remember everything he said now. I should have been taking notes! But I was enjoying worshipping with my husband for the first time since Christmas eve. A small happiness perhaps, but sitting next to my husband and holding his hand during prayers is one of life’s greatest joys.

Tuesday morning – Bible study with Dr. John Holbert. Lovely, deep, rich voice. Told the story of Jonah as “risk taking mission” in such a way that it was convicting and convincing. I will never read the book of Jonah again the same way. Jonah means “dove” but his attitude and behavior were anything but peaceful. He was selfish and stingy with the word of the Lord. Not exactly a model for risk taking mission! So – the question that comes to me is – in what way has the word of the Lord come to me and I haven’t acted on it? Where is my Tarshish? Who are the pagan sailors in my life, those who are convicted of the truth of God, who offer sacrifices while I sit in the belly of the whale and complain? Who are those who hear a tiny (seven words!) sermon and repent, while I go off and complain? Next time I start complaining to God with all my selfish and petty concerns, may the voice of John Holbert rise up in my ears and stop me.

Tuesday evening – Perkins Alumni and Friends dinner – work on the new building, new faculty, and endowments for student scholarships. Great leadership from Dean Lawrence, newly elected to the Judicial Council. If his leadership at Perkins is any indication, we can expect dedicated, energetic and well informed service from him on Judicial Council.

No comments: