Thursday, June 5, 2008

Annual Conference, next verse please

Sunday morning in Houston I went to worship at a church where a few years ago, I was youth director. I had no idea how many years ago! One of my then junior high students is now graduating and will be attending my undergrad alma mater as an elementary education major. Another one of my then junior high students will be President of the rather large high school band next year - her senior year! They have grown into wonderful young women. (Meanwhile, I haven't aged a bit....)

Sunday evening worship at Annual Conference was the Memorial Service for the clergy and clergy spouses who died since last Annual Conference. I'm glad they moved this to the first service. Our preacher was Matt Idom, currently pastor at First UMC Bryan. He was funny, touching, made me think and did a good job of weaving together the scripture and honoring the memory of those who have gone before.

We always begin Annual Conference with “And Are We Yet Alive?” a traditional bit of Methodism. Hearing the whole gathering – clergy, laity and friends – singing so enthusiastically is uplifting. It stirs the soul to hear voices truly raised in praise and joy. Not the sound of those who are wondering what the tune is, or what do these old words mean, or what page is that hymn on again?

All too often we worship without connecting to the congregation – do they know the hymns? Have we taken the time to learn them together? Have we explained the terminology? Seriously, does anyone know what it means “here I raise mine Ebenezer”? I love that hymn and what it means, but my guess is that the vast majority of the congregation is thinking about Scrooge and not the scripture reference! How can you sing as Wesley directed if you don’t know what the words mean?

Wesley’s Rules for Singing are at the front of every United Methodist Hymnal – sing lustily and with good courage! If you don’t know what you’re saying, you can’t follow that rule. I guess I’m calling for United Methodists to teach each other all the marvelous theology and diverse styles of music which is in our hymnal. Oh that everyone could experience worship like we have at Annual Conference!

About that Ebenezer - have a look at 1 Samuel 7.

7 When the Philistines heard that the people of Israel had gathered at Mizpah, the lords of the Philistines went up against Israel. And when the people of Israel heard of it they were afraid of the Philistines. 8The people of Israel said to Samuel, ‘Do not cease to cry out to the Lord our God for us, and pray that he may save us from the hand of the Philistines.’ 9So Samuel took a sucking lamb and offered it as a whole burnt-offering to the Lord; Samuel cried out to the Lord for Israel, and the Lord answered him. 10As Samuel was offering up the burnt-offering, the Philistines drew near to attack Israel; but the Lord thundered with a mighty voice that day against the Philistines and threw them into confusion; and they were routed before Israel. 11And the men of Israel went out of Mizpah and pursued the Philistines, and struck them down as far as beyond Beth-car.
12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah,* and named it Ebenezer;* for he said, ‘Thus far the Lord has helped us.’ 13So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel; the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel. 14The towns that the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron to Gath; and Israel recovered their territory from the hand of the Philistines. There was peace also between Israel and the Amorites.
15 Samuel judged Israel all the days of his life. 16He went on a circuit year by year to Bethel, Gilgal, and Mizpah; and he judged Israel in all these places. 17Then he would come back to Ramah, for his home was there; he administered justice there to Israel, and built there an altar to the Lord.

The Israelites looked to their leader to intercede for them. When the conflict was over, that same leader raised a monument - an Ebenezer - because the Lord helped them. According to the Tanakh, the term Ebenezer means "stone of help". A memorial, a stone to remember God's help.

So then, to Robert Robinson's hymn (number 400 in the UM Hymnal, at least until 2008) titled Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing - perhaps it will inspire you now that you know more about old Ebenezer!

Come, thou Fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it, mount of thy redeeming grace.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer, hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.

Thank you Mr. Robinson. The old language rarely connects with my soul, but this hymn sings my heart out to God. Prone to wander? Oh my yes. But by the good pleasure of God, I will make it home yet.

What's your Ebenezer?

No comments: